The following guide explains the general process for examinations conducted using the FLOWlock browser and details some simple steps to help you prepare for your exam.
Before your exam, you will need to log in to WISEflow and download the lockdown browser to the computer you're planning to use. Once the browser is installed you should also try out one of the demo flows, just to make sure everything is working seamlessly. It is important that you do this well ahead of the date of the examination in order to detect any potential problems (e.g. insufficient memory on your computer, trouble with the FLOWlock browser or your access to the demo flow) before the exam day.
If you are able to successfully start the FLOWlock demo, view the mock assignment and input your response then your computer is ready for a real FLOWlock examination.
If you have trouble
If you experience any other issues, please take a look at our troubleshooting guide for the FLOWlock browser.
On the day of the exam
When are ready to start your exam and once you have established a stable internet connection on your computer, you should launch FLOWlock from the examination page on WISEflow. It can be good practice to test whether your computer is able to automatically re-establish an internet connection in case the connection fails during the exam.
Before the exam begins
- One hour before the beginning of the exam, the Start the flow button will become clickable on the flow page. This button allows you to launch the FLOWlock browser.
- When the FLOWlock browser is launched, you will be taken to a page that counts down to the beginning of the exam.
- You must launch FLOWlock before the beginning of the exam in order to gain unhindered access to the flow.
When the exam has begun
- The exam begins automatically once the countdown reaches zero. You may need to input a password depending on how the flow is configured.
- You can now access the assignment or question paper and start working on your responses. During the exam, WISEflow will automatically and continuously save your work, and you will be able to keep track of this in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- In the essay-based FLOWlock, a table of contents will be automatically generated based on the headlines in your exam paper. You may use this table of contents to gain an overview and navigate to different parts of your paper.
- Once you are ready to submit your paper, click Go to handin in the upper right-hand corner. You may need to input another password, depending on how the flow is configured.
- When the time runs out you will be blocked from making any further changes to your work and a small window will appear allowing you to either exit or hand in. You have up to 30 minutes to hand in when the flow ends.
If something goes wrong
- If your internet connection fails during the exam, you can continue to work uninterrupted. If your computer is able to re-establish the internet connection, the WISEflow connection will automatically be re-established and your paper will be saved to the server continuously as before. You will be notified directly through the FLOWlock browser if your connection is lost and when it has been re-established as well as real-time information on your paper's save status.
- If your internet connection is lost, you will be given the option to download your paper to your own computer. If the internet connection is unable to be quickly re-established, we recommend that you use this option to manually store a backup version. This will prevent any loss of data in case, for example, your computer should shut down.
- Important! Choose the location that you save your local copy manually. Some drives are restricted and files cannot be saved there - e.g. "Macintosh HD" on Mac. Always ensure you choose a location you can save files to - e.g. Desktop.
- If the internet connection is re-established, you will not need to use this back-up version, as you can save and hand in your paper through WISEflow.
- If the internet connection is lost around the time you have to hand in your exam paper, you will not be able to hand it in directly through WISEflow. In this case, you must conclude the exam by downloading your paper to your computer. Once the FLOWlock browser is closed down and you have access to the internet again, the saved file can be uploaded, validated and handed in from the original flow page up to four hours after the submission deadline.
Important note: More information on how to download and upload a local copy