Below you will find an example of how a FLOWlock examination proceeds and some simple steps to prepare for your FLOWlock examination.
Once you have signed up for a FLOWlock examination, you have the option of logging in through WISEflow and downloading the FLOWlock browser; you can then install and try it out via an accessible demo flow. It is important that you do this well ahead of the date of the examination in order to prevent any problems, e.g. insufficient memory on your computer, trouble with the FLOWlock browser or your access to the demo flow.
If you are able to start the FLOWlock demo flow, view the mock assignment and write something then your computer is ready for a real FLOWlock examination.
If you have trouble
If you are unable to launch the FLOWlock demo flow, even though your computer meets all the requirements, you should try launching the FLOWlock browser independently from the list of programs on your computer. If you have the correct version of the FLOWlock browser installed, it should be found under the name "LockDown Browser OEM". Opening this will give you access to a troubleshooting procedure, which may help you through problems with automatic pop-up blocking and version control.
If you experience any other issues, please take a look at our troubleshooting guide for the FLOWlock browser.
On the day of the exam
Once you have settled down and made yourself comfortable in the examination room and have established a stable internet connection on your computer, you are ready to launch FLOWlock from the examination page on WISEflow. It may be a good idea to test whether your computer is able, automatically and without any help, to re-establish an internet connection in case the connection fails during the exam.
Before the exam begins
- One hour before the beginning of the exam, the button “Start FLOWlock” will be accessible on the examination page in WISEflow. This button allows you to launch the FLOWlock browser with one click, and you will automatically be directed to the relevant FLOWlock page.
- When FLOWlock is launched, you will be taken to a page that counts down to the beginning of the exam.
- You must launch FLOWlock before the beginning of the exam in order to gain unhindered access to the flow.
When the exam has begun
- The exam begins automatically once the countdown reaches zero. You will receive a password in the examination room (according to your institution's practice), which you must enter to get access to the assignment and the built-in text editor.
- You will now be able to read the given assignment and start writing your paper. During the exam, WISEflow will automatically and continuously save your paper, and you will be able to keep track of this in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- A table of contents will be automatically generated based on the headlines in your exam paper, and you may use this table of contents to get an overview of your paper.
- Once you are ready to hand in your paper, click “Go to handin” in the upper right-hand corner. You should then ask for the invigilator’s approval to hand in your assignment and finish FLOWlock.
If something goes wrong
- If your internet connection fails during the exam, you may proceed as though nothing has happened. If your computer is able to re-establish the connection, the WISEflow connection will automatically be re-established as well, and your paper will be saved to the server continuously as before. You will be notified directly through the FLOWlock browser if your connection is lost and when it has been re-established and your exam paper has been saved.
- If your internet connection is lost, you will be given the option to download your paper to your own computer. If the internet connection is lost for a longer period of time, we recommend that you use this option to manually store a back-up version to prevent loss of data in case your computer should shut down.
- Important! Choose the location that you save your local copy manually. Some drives are restricted and files cannot be saved there - e.g. "Macintosh HD" on Mac. To be safe, choose a location you are sure you can save files to - e.g. Desktop.
- If the internet connection is re-established, you will not need to use this back-up version, as you can save and hand in your paper through WISEflow.
- If the internet connection is lost around the time you have to hand in your exam paper, you will not be able to hand it in directly through WISEflow. Therefore, you must conclude the exam by downloading your paper to your computer, for instance to the “Desktop” where you may easily retrieve it. Once FLOWlock is closed down and you have access to the internet again, the saved file can be validated and handed in from the relevant page within WISEflow up to four hours after the submission deadline.