WISEflow can play videos handed in as appendix material if they are encoded in a video format that is supported by the browser. The safest solution is to have your video in the H.264/MPEG-4 format (MP4) and uploaded as an ".mp4" file. It is a standard web format, and it can be selected as the output from the most recent video applications and online services such as YouTube and Vimeo.
If you need to upload a video as appendix material with your paper in WISEflow, and your video is not in the MP4 format, you can follow these instructions to get it converted correctly. The instructions work for Windows and Mac. The example below is with Mac, but Windows is very similar.
- Download and install VLC media player. This is a free video player which is compatible with most existing video formats. Furthermore, it can convert videos to the MP4 format.
- Open VLC. The look of the program can differ based on the version of the program and your operating system, but the functionality is mostly the same.
- Click on "File" and press "Convert / Stream". You can also press SHIFT-CMD-S (CTRL-R for Windows).
- Open the video file that you want to convert ("Open media..." on Mac, "Add" on Windows). Select "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)" in the drop-down menu.
- Press "Save as File" and select a name for the new file and where you want to save the video. Mac will save the file as a ".m4v" file. This is the Apple version of MP4. Windows save the file as ".mp4".
- Press "Save" in the bottom right corner to convert the video.
Note: Large video files (+500 Mb) can, for various reasons, produce an internal server error when trying to upload them.
Guide: How to reduce the filesize of a video
Follow the instructions below to compress the video ,so it is not unnecessarily big. As a rule of thumb, when the video is compressed, if one minute corresponds to 4-5 Mb, then you do not compromise the quality of the video significantly.
- Download and install the program Handbrake (free) on your computer (https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php)
- Open Handbrake. The look of the program can differ based on the version of the program and your operating system, but the functionality is the same.
- In Handbrake: Click on "Source" and choose "Video File:"
Choose the clip that you wish to convert and click "OK."
- Check the box called "Web optimized" below the path of the saved file. In the pane "Video" choose "Average Bitrate" and set it to 750 (the bigger the number the better the quality and the bigger the file size).
Click "Browse" and choose where the new file should be saved.
- Click "Start" to begin converting (Please note! The conversion can take a while depending on your computer).
- When the conversion is done, there will be a m4v-/mp4-file where you chose to save it.
- This file can be uploaded in the "Appendix material" section in each flow.
- You can play the file directly in WISEflow by clicking the file name under "Appendix Material."