FLOWoral enables administrative support of oral exams. The assessor can use the flow as the time schedule of participants and take notes digitally as the participant perform live at the exam. These notes can then be shared with the participant afterwards. An assessment is then submitted by the assessor which can be distributed to the respective student systems when the assessment period ends.
This article shows you an example of an examination of one student from the flow page to examination to submission of an assessment. Be aware that FLOWoral can be used in a variety of ways. In this example, you, the assessor, is using the tool to keep track of your oral exam, comment on the participants' performance, and assess their performance. Physical coordination (e.g. moving the student from the physical preparation room to examination room) is not mentioned during the example, but it should be kept in mind when you plan your period and use the FLOWoral tool.
- First we enter the examination tool and open the participant who is set to start his/her preparation from the exam overview.
Note: If any of this seems foreign to you, click here for a general run through of the flow page and examination tool of FLOWoral.
- When you have selected the participant, we see two new features in the top-right menu.
- Show assessors (Remote): toggle video chat between between assessor and co-assessor.
- Assignment: inspect the assignment given to the participant by the flow (if added).
- When the participant has been sent to the preparation room, you and co-assessors are automatically sent to that room as well. Here we see one new feature in the top-right menu.
- Timer: toggles whether or not to show the timer on the desktop of the exam room. Note, the timer is currently ON in the picture below.
During the time that the preparation is running, you can open other students. This is necessary if examination and preparation runs at the same time. However, in this example, we have no other students to deal with at this time. You can also pause the timer by clicking "Pause preparation timer" in the bottom-left corner.
We wait for the preparation timer to reach the designated time (30 minutes), and then we click "Start exam timer" to start the participant's exam.
- Now, you and the participant is in the examination room. During the examination, you want to use FLOWoral to comment on the participant's performance. To do this, we add a comment to the participant on the flow with the following steps:
- Open the participant menu by clicking on the participant's name.
- Click "Add new comment". This opens an editor on the right side of your screen.
- From the editor, you can write your notes on the performance of the participant. You can choose whether or not to share the comment with co-assessors and the participant (will be available along with the assessment) by clicking the bottom-left drop-down menu. The comment is saved as you write.
- In this example, the examination time is set to be 20 minutes with 5 minutes to discussion of the mark, and finally, 5 minutes left for informing the participant about his/her the mark. These three are combined into the examination timer. Therefore, be sure to have an eye on the timer during the examination.
- When the examination timer exceeds the total of 30 minutes, the timer will change colour to red.
- During the discussion of the mark and the hand over of said mark, we would like to assign a mark for the student in the system as well. This is done in the participant menu.
- We tick off "Passed" in the "Set final assessment" section.
- Click "Mark as done" to end the exam for the participant.
You can inspect comments in the "Summary" of the student exam. Submit the assessments as usual, either via the flow page or via the participant menu.