Problemsolving on site
For an exam with FLOWlock, it is recommended that every participant comes in a little early and start the FLOWlock demo. Any issues with FLOWlock should be shown at that point and you will have some time to fix it before the exam starts.
If there is a problem in the browser, i.e. content not loading correctly or similar things you can try to perform a “refresh” in the browser functions in the upper left corner. This functions like a normal refresh in a regular browser. More often than not, this solves any issues with the FLOWlock browser.
The classics can often be of use here as well. Shutting down the browser and starting it again. Rebooting the computer and try again. These are the easiest to try out and can often fix small issues with the FLOWlock browser.
FLOWlock browser isn't starting properly / White screen is showing
Sometimes when you try to enter the exam the FLOWlock browser will show a white screen instead of opening the exam. This is usually due to Internet Security programs, like McAfee and Symantec, trying to prevent the FLOWlock browser from locking down the computer. By temporarily turning off the Internet Security program you can access the exam as normal.
A final piece of advice is try uninstalling the FLOWlock browser, download it again and install it. Sometimes a program appears to be installed correct, but it is not the case. And you may want to reboot your computer between uninstalling the FLOWlock browser and downloading it again, to make sure it is a clean install.
Missing internet connection
If the internet connection is lost during the exam, the participants have to contact the invigilators immediately. In order to re-establish an internet connection the invigilator can perform the following steps in order. If the internet connection is re-established you can stop going through these steps and let the participant continue the assignment.
- First of all, ask the participant to perform one more task or edit something in their assignment. The system performs a check of the internet connection whenever there is new data to be saved.
- By pressing the cogwheel in the left side of the screen, next to the red “Exit”-button you can open the “Invigilator menu.” As the invigilator you have the option to perform a range of administrative actions including “Manual reconnect,” which can solve this issue.
- Connect an ethernet cable to establish a direct cabled connection to the internet.
- Restart the browser using the questionmark About in the browser functions in the upper left corner of the screen. Choose “Invigilator options,” close the browser and restart FLOWlock browser.
- As a last resort the participant can continue the assignment offline and remember to save locally to the harddrive regularly. This local copy can be handed in, when the FLOWlock browser has been closed down without handing in.
- If this happens in relation to a missing internet connection first try to re-establish the internet connection with an ethernet cable.
- If an internet connection is established try to close down the browser through the red “Exit”-button and restart the browser.
- If the browser cannot be closed down using the “Exit”-button, close it down by using the Question mark “About” and choosing “Proctor option”. Close down the browser and restart the FLOWlock browser.
- If it is not possible to close down the browser, you have to force reboot the device. At this point data can be lost, if this is happening in connection with a missing internet connection.
The computer has been force rebooted and is in a locked state
When the computer is force rebooted during a FLOWlock/FLOWmulti, it will automatically run a process to exit the browser. If this does not happen automatically, and the computer is in a locked state you can follow one of these two steps to resolve it manually:
- Re-open the FLOWlock/FLOWmulti exam through the flow and exit or hand-in to quit the browser correctly.
- Open the FLOWlock-browser directly on your computer (Application name: LockDown Browser OEM). This will open a small window, where you can choose to exit the browser manually and then the computer will return to its normal state.