FLOWlock is an add-on module in WISEflow, which is used for exams where the participant is locked down and prevented from using the normal features of the computer.
How to setup a FLOWlock
- Click on "Create" and create a flow as usual. Choose FLOWlock as the flowtype.
- Setup the flow as you normally would (with participants and manage participant and assessment periods etc.).
- Remember to activate the flow when you are done setting up the flow.
Since version 2.10.0 (Sycamore) of Wiseflow, the advanced FLOWlock settings has been moved from the Advanced-tab to a separate page accessed from the basic-tab. For quicker access you can remove the use of FLOWlock-browser and change participant and invigilator password directly from the flowpage.
Note: As a standard the FLOWlock flows are run with the FLOWlock-browser. This means that the students and the managers of the FLOWlock-exam has to be aware of the requirements and the installation guide for the FLOWlock-browser. See FLOWlock: Installation.
Advanced FLOWlock settings allow the manager to customize the progress of the exam. Descriptions for each setting is found in the middle-column of the menu.
The manager can also enable or disable settings on individual participants on the bottom of the page.
Before the flow starts Preparations - the student's device
- Before attending a FLOWlock exam we suggest you run a test exam, where you test the students' devices prior to the exam.
- If this is not an option, the student should have tested at least the demo of FLOWmulti, which is found in the profile in the pane called “System requirements”.
- Before the student opens the FLOWlock exam we suggest that you restart the computer and close all unnecessary programs and services that are either not allowed or not needed.
- Establish a connection to the internet and make sure the computer automatically finds the correct WiFi, if the connection is temporarily lost. Remove any nearby WiFis your computer remembers that are not usable during the exam, as you have no way of changing WiFi once you're in the FLOWlock.
- Note: Participants should be informed that the use of TAB to indent and customize the appearance essay questions does not always convert well to PDF. The use of tables instead provides a more secure appearance of the hand in.
Preparations - at the institutional level
- (Optional) Have some pre-installed computers ready for the students if their own device cannot complete the assignment.
- FLOWlock is dependent on a stable internet connection. In the FLOWlock-browser there are limited options when it comes to re-establishing the connection. We suggest you have ethernet cables ready to plug the device directly to a cabled internet connection, if the connection is lost.
- Avoid using special characters or symbols that can easily be confused in the startup and proctor password. It can be difficult to distinguish between an i or an l or an o and a zero.
If you experience any problems during the exam, please see FLOWlock-browser: Troubleshooting