FLOWlock is an add-on module in WISEflow, which is used for exams where the participant is locked down and prevented from using the normal features of the computer.
How to setup a FLOWlock
- Click on "Create" and create a flow as usual. Choose FLOWlock as the flow type.
- Setup the flow as you normally would (with participants and manage participant and assessment periods etc.).
- Remember to activate the flow when you are done setting up the flow.
Since version 2.10.0 (Sycamore) of Wiseflow, the advanced FLOWlock settings have been moved from the Advanced-tab to a separate page accessed from the basic-tab by clicking Manage all settings. For quicker access, you can remove the use of FLOWlock-browser and change participant and invigilator password directly from the flow page.
Note: As a standard, the FLOWlock flows are run with the FLOWlock-browser. This means that the participants and the managers of the FLOWlock-exam must be aware of the requirements and the installation guide for the FLOWlock-browser. See FLOWlock: Installation.
Advanced FLOWlock settings allow the manager to customize the progress of the exam. Descriptions for each setting is found in the middle-column of the menu.
The manager can also enable or disable settings on individual participants on the bottom of the page.
Before the flow starts Preparations - the participant's device
- Before attending a FLOWlock exam we suggest you run a test exam, where you test the participants' devices prior to the exam.
- If this is not an option, the participant should have tested, at least, the demo of FLOWmulti, which is found in the profile in the pane called “System requirements”.
- Before the participant opens the FLOWlock exam we suggest that you restart the computer and close all unnecessary programs and services that are either not allowed or not needed.
- Establish a connection to the internet and make sure the computer automatically finds the correct WiFi, if the connection is temporarily lost. Remove any nearby Wi-Fis your computer remembers that are not usable during the exam, as you have no way of changing Wi-Fi once you are in the FLOWlock.
- Note: Participants should be informed that the use of TAB to indent and customize the appearance essay questions does not always convert well to PDF. The use of tables instead provides a more secure appearance of the submission.
Preparations - at the institutional level
- (Optional) Have some pre-installed computers ready for the participants if their own device cannot complete the assignment.
- FLOWlock is dependent on a stable internet connection. In the FLOWlock-browser there are limited options when it comes to re-establishing the connection. We suggest you have ethernet cables ready to plug the device directly to a cabled internet connection, if the connection is lost.
- Avoid using special characters or symbols that can easily be confused in the startup and proctor password. It can be difficult to distinguish between an i or an l or an o and a 0.
If you experience any problems during the exam, please see FLOWlock-browser: Troubleshooting