FLOWseries is a WISEflow module for handling of courses, that consists a number of educational activities which culminates in a final exam. The module allows you to set up a series of flows over a period of time and customise a set of requirements that the participants must fulfil in order to access the final flow.
To see your FLOWseries', open the Manager tab. Change the overview to "FLOWseries". Click the toolbox to the right of the "Create" button and click "New FLOWseries" to create a new.
All fields, except Early Access, are required to create the FLOWseries. These dates will automatically be set on the flows in the series when the flows are created (they can of course still be changed afterwards). Click "Create new FLOWseries" to finalise.
Add users to the flow
When the FLOWseries has been created, you want to add participants and assessors. These will automatically be transferred to the flows of the series (according to the defined set of requirements).
Note: It is important to add users to the FLOWseries and not manually to the subflows. If they are added directly to the subflow, it will not show up in the users list of available flows.
You can add users manually (same for participant and assessor):
Click "Add participants", search for the users, check the boxes for users to be added, and click "Add users".
You can also add users via the integration with Student Information Systems (SIS):
Note: It is not possible to export marks on a FLOWseries.
As usual, you can connect a SIS-code to the flow to automatically transfer participants and assessors. Click "Edit"in the top right corner of the FLOWseries page.
- Click "Add SIS codes".
- Choose the SIS-system (SIS-DK, CensorIT, FS, SiTS and STADS)
- Fill out the required fields for the system.
- Verify the SIS code. When the code has been verified (the details of users will show up below) click "Add" to connect the SIS-code.
Click "Save" to finalise the changes to the FLOWseries and connecting the SIS-code(s) to the flow.
First we want to add subflows to the series. In the Flows section, click "Add flows". Add name and select flow type. Click "Create" to add the flow to the FLOWseries.
From the FLOWseries page you can edit the deadlines of the flows and activate them directly. Click "Edit flows" in the Flows section. Select flows by ticking boxes and perform the actions: Delete, activate or change deadlines below.
We want to edit the deadlines for First and Second Assignment so that they do not overlap. Select each flow individually and click "Set deadlines". Afterwards, we select both flows and activate them from the FLOWseries page.
In the Flows section of the FLOWseries page, you can now see an overview of the flows of the series. The symbols depict the status of the flow. These flows are activated, but the participation period has not begun yet.
To change any advanced settings for the subflows (e.g. marking scale), click the name in the overview.
Next, we want to set requirements in assessments for each flow. Whether or not the participants meet these requirements, decide if the participants can be transferred to the final exam.
Click in the Flows section.
- Select the subflows of the series and click "Add requirement" to add a requirement.
- Here the added requirements are listed. Here we can define how the requirement is met and how important it is.
- Flow: Name of the subflow.
- Required: Check boxes here to define that this requirement is necessary for the participant to be transferred to the final exam.
- Comparator: Does the assessment of the participant have to be equal to, less than, or more (etc.) than the threshold to meet the requirement.
- Threshold: Assessment threshold on the scale defined by the flow.
- (Weighing): Weight of each subflow in the overall requirement. This setting appears if the overall requirement is set with "Weighted requirements fulfilment" (see below).
- Define the overall weighing system of flows from a drop-down menu. Shall all subflows weigh one point or shall they have different weights.
Press "Save" to save the requirements. From the Participant list on the FLOWseries page, you can now see the assessments of the participants for each flow and whether or not they are currently qualified for the final exam flow.
Next, we want to add a final flow to the series. This is the exam that the subflows lead to and that the requirements decide whether or not the participants are eligible for.
We want to add an oral exam to end the course. Therefore, we add a FLOWoral by clicking "Add final flow" under the Final flow section.
- Name of the final flow and additional information:
- Number of participants currently transferred to the final flow. The current number is 0.
- Status of the flow. The flow is currently not activated.
- Click here to delete the final flow.
Give participants manual exemptions
You can give participants exemptions from specific flows manually. This means that students are set to meet requirements of these exempted flows regardless of their assessment. Click "Manual exemption" in the participant list.
Check boxes for participants in the flows that they are exempted from. Click "Update" to save the change.
Copy a FLOWseries
You can copy an existing FLOWseries to create a new FLOWseries.
Click "Copy" in the top right corner of the FLOWseries page. When copying you can choose to include:
- Assignments or activities on the flows
- Participants who have not qualified for the final flow
- Dates: If you include the dates, the copy will be an exact copy.If you do not include the dates, you should select new dates, unless the copy is to be used in a new semester or year. In this case, the other flows in the FLOWseries will get the new dates (just as if you created a new FLOWseries).