- What is an assignment?
- Creating a new assignment
- Publishing your assignment
- Adding an assignment to a flow
What is an assignment?
Essentially, an assignment is a collection of sections and is used to create a FLOWmulti test or exam. Each section can contain one or more questions, tools or text sections and the test score for a section consists of the accumulated score of all the questions in that section.
You can access your assignments and published assignments from the Assignments tab in the Author-module. It is also the default view, when you go into the Author-module.
To create a new assignment, click the New assignment-button on the assignment tab.
Enter the title. The description and tags are optional. And when all the information is added, click "Next" to proceed.
Choose between FLOWmulti assignment or File based assignment, and click "Create".
The new assignment is now listed at the top of your assignment list, open and ready for you to add sections or edit the assignment. You can add sections to the assignment by pressing the + "Add a section"-button and choosing whether to create a new standard MCQ, a custom question or from the "Content bank" (For more on the content bank, click here).
You can add more questions, text sections or tools to the section through the + "Add content to the section"-button and edit the section title by on the text to the right of the section number. For more on creating questions, see the articles: How to create a question and Question types.
To preview individual questions, sections or the whole activity, showing you how they will be presented to the participant, press the "eye"-buttons.
Adding tools/media to a section
In assignments, it can sometimes be necessary to provide tools for the participants, so the assignment can take focus away from the need of doing simple tasks, to focus the participants on the critical parts they are being assessed in.
These tools can be put in sections or directly into question texts. The tools and media available to put in sections are the following:
- Basic Calculator: Provides a simple calculator to do basic calculations.
- Audio Player: Incorporates an audio player into the section, where the participant can replay a recording chosen by the author.
- Video Player: Embeds a video player into the section, where the Author can upload videos for the participants viewing.
- Ruler: Provides the participant with a ruler, that can be placed and rotated as they want inside the section.
- Protractor: Provides the participant with a protractor, that can be placed and rotated as they want inside the section.
- Scientific Calculator: This Calculator has access to more advanced mathematical calculations than the basic, but works just like the basic calculator.
- Formula: This tool lets the participant write down formulas for later use, and give them a better overview of the formulas they might be working with.
- Line Reader: The line reader lets the participant create a shadow around a single line in the section, so they can focus on that single line of text or alike. This tool can be moved, so as to keep the focus while reading several lines, one by one.
Publishing your assignment
When the assignment is fully edited to your liking, with section, questions etc., you must click "Publish" before you or anybody else can use the assignment in a flow. A preview of the question will appear and you must approve it before it is published.
Publishing an assignment will make it appear below in the section for published assignments. From here you can find (1) the reference code that allows you to add the question to a flow, and by clicking the name of the assignment you will copy the reference code to your computers clipboard. (2) Choose whether to keep the published activity private, share with some or the whole license.
Adding an assignment to a flow
As a manager you can add the assignment to a FLOWmulti, by going to To be handed out and clicking + "Add assignment". Here you add the reference code found in the "Published assignments".
As an "Author", if you are associated to a flow, you add an assignment to a flow through the "Associated flows"-tab. Here you can see the list of active flows, where you are assigned as an author and by clicking on one it will expand and you can now type in the reference and attach it or you can press the looking glass button to search for an assignment to add.