The author tool in WISEflow allows the drawing of random questions as you create your assignment. This random drawing is controlled by a set of rules specified by the author before drawing.
When you have created your assignment (see articles: Creating assignments (Video guide) or Create and Publish an Assignment) click + Add item and choose the option From content bank.
This opens a pop-up, allowing you to add items from the content bank. On the default view, you can search for tags or item names (1), preview an item and decide how often it should be added (2) or change to Rule-based to define rules for selecting items (3). If you want to add the selected items to the assignment, click Import.
In the example below, we will try to randomly two items via rule-based selection of items.
Rule-based Selection of Items
With rule-based selection, you first have to define the rules that govern the draw made by WISEflow. An overview of the options:
- Shows the current available items in your content bank and the summed points these questions can produce. Notice that these may change according to the settings below (e.g. not including shared items, etc.).
- Choose the number of items you want to draw.
Filter the draw according to tags. When adding tags, you have to choose the distribution of questions according to each tag below. Be aware that the distribution has to align with the Number of items (2).
If the total exceeds the Number of items above, a Warning message appears.
- Filter the draw according to item characteristics: amount of questions, points per item or the maximum amount of points available.
- Filter the draw by include/exclude shared or hidden items.
- Generate the draw or reset the rules.
- Click the black bare to slide the rule options in and out of view, revealing the currently drawn list of items.
In this example we want to draw four random items. We have specified the tags Import and Demo to allow us to filter and draw the correct items from our content bank.
We specify that we want to draw four items. Furthermore, we specify that the items we draw from must include one of the two tags and that we want to draw two items from each tag.
When the rules have been specified we click Generate to draw the questions (this slides the rule options to the left, revealing a list of the drawn questions).
As seen in the picture above, we have drawn two items from Demo and two from Import. To "re-draw", click the black bar on the left side. This slides the rule options back into view. Here you can Regenerate the list. Notice that it is not possible to draw an item twice.
To add all the items to your assignment, click Import in the bottom right.