With the need for more online assessments where students are sitting at home, the questions about cheating, collusion and academic integrity are rising. WISEflow offers a range of features and security options to prevent collusion between participants and to provide secure online assessments. When creating assignments, the author can use different features in WISEflow to avoid collaboration between students, such as a random drawing of questions from the content bank, shuffling of questions in the assignment and shuffling of responses available on each question. This guide will present how these features work and how the authors can use them when creating assignments.
The first part presents features available in the authoring tool on FLOWmulti assessments, and the second part presents features that can be useful on FLOWlock assessments.
Features in the authoring tool - FLOWmulti (click on the links to open guides in our Support Centre)
- Create several versions of an assignment and use our randomised importing tool to add questions from the content bank into the assignments randomly. This way, students on the same module get access to different assignments and questions, making it more difficult for them to collaborate during the assessment.
- Shuffle sections: It is possible to configure the assignment to shuffle sections. With this setting, the sections (pages) of an assignment will occur in randomised order for each participant.
- Shuffle responses: With Multiple Choice Questions or similar question types, randomise the responses on each question, so they appear in a different order for the students. This setting is available for the author on all question types where it’s possible to add predefine options which the students can choose.
- No backward navigation: It is possible to prevent the participants from navigating back to a previous question during the assessment. This option, combined with the Shuffle sections settings, will make it more difficult for the participants to collaborate during an assessment. They will get the questions in a different order, and they cannot go back to change their answers if they communicate.
The above features, which all are available in the authoring tool for authors, can be used either individually or in a combination. A remote online exam with an assignment where the sections and responses are shuffled and no backward navigation will make it more difficult for the students to collaborate during a remote online exam. Adding an element of short time to answer each question will make it difficult for them to use other resources to look up the answers.
Features available on FLOWlock assessments (and other file-based assessments)
- Randomised assignments to the participants: it is possible to attach several assignments in a PDF format to the flow and let the system automatically and randomly allocate assignments to students. This way, students get different assignments on the same assessment. The manager can set this randomisation.
- Text similarity check: If enabled on the licence, the result of the similarity check will be automatically available for the assessors when the assessment period (marking) starts. The similarity report is available on each student in the assessor tool, and it is easy for the assessor to open the similarity report to review.
As this guide demonstrated, institutions can use features in WISEflow to promote integrity and decrease collaboration and cheating on online remote exams. A carefully designed assessment help maintain academic integrity.